Monday, November 24, 2008

refinishing job #2

This is a buffet I got back in September for $60 from the Goodwill. Sort of had a late 60s early 70s tacky vibe to it - I hated the carving detail in the legs that was stained a darker color but I was hoping I could refinish this to work with my decor. My decor being hodgepodge on a budget, which I would define as simple country, coziness and family friendly atmosphere a must. I'm terrible at documenting 'before' pictures as I'm usually so eager to start a project I jump right in, thus the drawers were already stripped in this photo. Of course I jump right in like an energizer bunny and then hit a wall very quickly, like when I realize my vision will take longer than an afternoon to do. And the project drags out for weeks or months. But this one is finally through, thank God and I'm on to the next project in masochism.





And after. Overall I'm happy with the way it turned out, although the 'rusty red' iron pulls and knobs don't match (the knobs are rustier). I'm not a huge fan of 'rusty red' for a hardware finish but the boring size for the pulls is 4 1/2" which makes your pull pickings very slim. Now I can't wait to fill this puppy up with all the crap cluttering the bookshelves in our living room. My goal for the new year is to streamline/declutter the living room and dining room (as much as I can having two kids). Let me know what you think and if you have any idea how I can tone down the rustiness on the knobs.


2 comments:

Elise A. Miller said...

nice work lady! want to come over and see firsthand.

kristi said...

oh this is GORGEOUS. i love the lines of this piece. very cool. i hope you had a great thanksgiving! (and i love the scribbles on the walls in oona's room--don't tell her i said that...)