Tuesday, October 24, 2006

List of books I'd love to read, once I have time

1. A million Little Pieces by James Frey - So much controversy! A 'memoir' that a recovering addict wrote. I'm not offended or surprised that the guy exaggerates or lies in certain instances. I think that's par for the course with a former addict in recovery. I know Oprah was embarrassed by this one and had to shame him publicly on TV which I think is rather petty. It's not like he was writing for the NY Times or like he lied about weapons of mass destruction to America. How many people in the government lie to us on a daily basis - and I'd say those lies are more like to have detrimental consequences than James Frey's memoir. Let's give this poor guy a break. See how compelling this book is and I haven't even read it yet?!

2. Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs - awesome title, although I'm more of a 'walking with erasers' girl. need to read this before seeing the movie, shouldn't be too hard since having kids I catch every movie I want to see once it's out on DVD

3. Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie- provocative but I'm going to need to be very alert and not in my fuzzy mother-induced brain mush mode which I seem to have been in since, oh I guess since Owen was born four years ago. Maybe I'll read it after taking smart pills, saw some article in Scientific American about some such pills - imagine?!

4. Any/all of Dickens and Dostoevsky - would probably have to be incarcerated in order to get around to these two. But I do feel like something is missing in my life having not read either of them

5. anything by William Faulkner - see #3 about needing smart pills before reading

6. Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl - this girl is supposed to be the new hot young thing in literature

7. White Teeth and On Beauty by Zadie Smith - sigh, another precocious, attractive, successful author

8. Devil in the White City by Erik Larson - murder? magic? madness? I should be running out the door to buy this one

9. Atonement & Saturday by Ian McEwan - love his early works that I've read

10. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathon Safran Foer - heard good things about this spry young author too, God I'm starting to sound like my Grandma

11. And finally, Shantaram by David Gregory Roberts which I bought my husband years ago and which he really enjoyed but when will I find time to read a 936 page book. I'd have to go on a major crime spree that gives me ten years in one of those 'genteel' prisons in order to get around to this one as well as those written by Dostoevsky and Dickens

No comments: