Friday, September 02, 2011

floor update


These two pictures above show the worst area of my floors before and after, honestly I didn't think it would turn out as well as it did because this section of the dining room floor is very chewed up.




These pictures show before during and after the refinishing. I love the original light color of the red oak but the dining room floor had extensive water stains the turned the red oak a greyish brown which no amount of sanding could get rid of. So I had the floors stained a dark walnut and it blends the water stains in much better than had I just left the wood the original color. I was amazed to see all the different grains of the oak and am glad that shows up with the darker stain too. This is the bookcase redone and the sandpiper walls. I still need to polyurethane the bookcase and let it cure a bit. I think the bookcase will look better once books and baskets are on it. Hopefully then it won't read as overly distressed it will just sort of blend in to the background. And I'm going to paint the inside of the fireplace a darker grey because I'm that kind of anal. Meanwhile all my books are hiding out on the stairs to the third floor and in my room, which looks like I could qualify for a hoarding show right now, it's a disaster.

1 comment:

sew nancy said...

That is a great improvement.
Ah, I don't think books on the stairs qualifies you as a hoarder- you might want to check my daughter's stuffed animal collection:)