Tuesday, December 08, 2009

in praise of the hula hoop

I never thought I would come across a form of exercise that is so damn enjoyable until I discovered the hula hoop. I bought one about a month ago and it sat in my closet because it is big, too big to do in my bedroom without the hoop hitting the wall, but one night last week I ventured upstairs to my cold, dark, empty 3rd floor and just rocked out with the hula hoop for a half hour. It's weighted which makes it easier to stay up, they say this contributes to an increase in calorie burning too. There's all these claims about the inches you can drop off your waist using the hula hoop for a half hour a few times a week. But you know what? I don't care. It's all about hooping and laughing, because hula hooping makes me laugh a lot. It's odd because it's rather sensual as far as exercises go and connects me to my body in a new way but it's so fun, I guess it changes my preconceived notions regarding sensuality, that it's something serious, because the hula hoop isn't, well it is seriously good fun. Last night I was feeling very antsy and went upstairs to hoop, just for ten minutes to get the steam out of me, well 45 minutes later my shuffle's battery died and that's when I finally stopped. I got my hoop from hoopgirl (I got the reasonably priced power hoop) but this place firegroove sells them too. I love looking at the websites, they're very playful and very west coast. Fire groove also has a bunch of youtube videos, both girls have some enviable taut bodies, by the comments from some of the men I think they're doing something else instead of envying them. So... if you're interested in a super fun cardiovascular exercise and have the room for a hoop I say go for it.

4 comments:

sew nancy said...

i did not see this coming but it sounds like a lot of fun! is is not so hard and something i might like given the fact that i did belly dancing for a few years.
oh and of course happy birthday! yesterday, right?
xoxo

Amelia Plum said...

it's amazingly good fun, like if I was better I'd think of teaching a class just because it's such an easy fun thing to do and such simple bliss should be shared. thanks for the b-day wishes, you're spot on with the day.

Amelia Plum said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elise A. Miller said...

i want video of you hooping. way to go, you. xo