Wednesday, July 25, 2012

uncle

Yesterday I was beginning to think I might have been infected with the rage virus. Not that I was going off on anyone just that the littlest things would upset me. It was one of those days where bad things just keep piling up on you, and you're wondering if you should have just pulled up the covers and ceded that day. I went to the gym and as I'm getting stuff from my locker a morbidly obese woman sitting naked right next to my locker lets out a huge fart in my direction and absentmindedly says 'sorry'. I'm trying to hold my breath and collect my stuff when she lets out another, even louder and longer than the last one. She doesn't even bother to apologize that time and I'm thinking,  is it really that hard to control your flatulence until no one's face is anywhere near the vicinity of your ass? It was just a day where the interior monologue is heavy on profanity with God and Christ getting thrown into that mix. I didn't curse out loud until an idiot in her CRV almost backed right into Oona and I. Even then I didn't curse at her, just said look where you're driving you almost hit us. But under my breath I muttered a fuck heavy diatribe getting Oona safely into the car. The way people drive in parking lots makes me rabid and it was just one loooong day where I felt like I was in a parking lot with bad drivers. And do I really need to be friend's with my ex on Facebook so I can see how wonderful his life is? And how everyone likes that? I mean it's great, do not get me wrong, it's not like I don't wish him well, I'm truly glad he found someone and is happy. But I don't need to virtually be told how peachy keen things are over there while I'm ready to a. weep   b. pass out   c. devour carbs   d. join a cult.  I'm just kidding with the last one since I'm not much of a joiner. Tuesday was just a fucking nightmare day filled with rage but always I rage hardest against myself. My insides feel clawed.

So I talked to Owen last night and had a nice chat with the ex mother in law, who apologized that Owen had hung up on me the night before and she filled me in on the fun Owen is having. Either everyone is reading my blog and correcting their behavior or I just took things too personally. Hmmm, wonder which one it is?


2 comments:

Andy Parker said...

Oh you made me laugh. Maybe it's the "Captain Underpants" lover in me (tra-la-la!), but I thought the story about the woman farting was very funny. If it had happened in a movie, can you imagine the expressions someone like Steve Martin, or Roberto Begnini would have made as they happened? Oh my! Or Bette Middler with her eyes bulging, and Tina Fey being aghast. Of course, it might have easily been Mike Myers making the farts, in a men's locker room. He'd have pushed it way over the top, something this woman had the opportunity to do and passed on (to her credit).

Parking lots can be crazy. Last weekend, I was four steps past two cars when they backed into each other. Were they looking at me? It doesn't matter. Four steps is too close. Closer than that? My heart would have skipped a beat or two.

Facebook. A middle solution might simply be to go to his page and click on the friends button. A drop down menu will appear. Then click on the line "show in newsfeed" to remove his posts from your newsfeed. Do that and you preserve each others ability to use Facebook to communicate when you want to, while eliminating the presence of his posts there by default. It won't stop you from going to his page--that's discipline--but having someone out of sight has helped me unburden myself from the annoying presence of a couple of people I know.

I liked that you had the chat with the ex-MIL. Whatever the motivation, it's nice to know what the kids are up to.

Hang in there!

Amelia Plum said...

thanks andy. fortunately oona was totally unfazed by the incident but it was way too close for comfort to me, we were like a step away from the back of her car and she must have been completely out of it because we'd just walked by on the driver's side, she saw us pass by i don't know where her head was. i'm giving that obese woman a very wide berth if i see her again.