Saturday, May 29, 2010

Oh my. That seems to be the phrase that best sums up my life right now, at least the best profanity free phrase. So in this picture to the left I look like my normal self, aside from being a little glum, since stress seems to be a permanent state that I'm in lately, and a little bit skinny, side effect from all that stress. You might have thought I was joking with the losing my hair post. I have complained about my baby fine hair quite a few times before. But what I would give to have that baby fine hair of two years ago. I went to the dermatologist on friday and had a messload of blood drawn to see if there is a medical reason for my hair loss. In the past month my hair has become so thin that I spend most of my weekends crying about it. Yeah, I probably should buy a few scarves and get out more. But I cannot stress to you just how devastating this is. I mean I never had nice hair, aside from when I was a child, but at least I had hair that covered my head.

In the two weeks since my last hair rant post I've lost enough hair that you can now see my scalp pretty clearly. And if I push the hair to the other side, well it's just as obvious. It's thinning everywhere. Never before have I prayed so hard that there is something seriously medically wrong with me. Hyperthyroidism, lupus, brain tumor. I don't care how bad it is, as long as it can be treated and this hair loss can stop. I keep thinking, it would be one thing if this was happening to me but the rest of my life was not in the crap maelstrom it currently is. Okay, I know I'm not dying. But I don't have a husband or boyfriend that loves me no matter what and really how much more difficult is being bald gonna make it to find that. What the fuck did I do in a previous life (or this one for that matter) to deserve this kick in the ass of the little self confidence I possessed. I'm embarrassed to even go out. I only go to school and the gym. And I'm starting to worry about how to cover up my scalp. I so don't want to be the person people gawk at because of the way I look. Okay and on an aside, because you know I've become an alopecia expert in the month I've noticed this problem, it seems unfair that there are programs to give woman undergoing chemo wigs but nothing for people who lose hair due to other conditions. Locks of love helps children who lose hair for the many different medical conditions but there doesn't seem to be an adult equivalent of locks of love and let me tell you some of the high quality wigs can get really, crazy expensive. There are laser treatments for hair loss too, and some that get really fancy where you can add your own plasma rich protein to the laser treatment but I'm pretty sure that's waaay outside of my price range. When I think of all the expenses around this house that I can't afford how the hell will I manage to get a decent looking wig? If it gets really bad I'm just gonna shave my head and charge a really nice wig to my credit card. I'm not asking for Rapunzel locks I just want hair that covers my head.

5 comments:

kristi said...

my friend had alopecia and gets really expensive weaves. she hasn't ever told me much about it, but she just finished cosmetology school so she can help women who struggle with the same thing as her, which i think is way cool.

even in the close up picture i can't see what you are talking about. i mean, i can see your part, but you look beautiful in that top photo (even with your sad face).

just wanted you to know i'm here, and i'm reading. xox

sew nancy said...

i don't have anything mind blowing to say but am hoping you find some answers. i do agree with kristi in that i can't really see it.

-apparently my brother ted has a weave or something in front if his head. my mom told me and it's a secret:)

Elise A. Miller said...

bone broth! the collagen in the gelatin can help with hair loss, skin and nail disorders. I literally just heard this yesterday. and red meat from grass-fed cows. this part might sound more woo-woo, but according to chinese medicine, hair loss can signal a lack of red (blood) energy in the kidneys, which store energy that is expressed in the hair and nails and skin. are you experiencing any symptoms there? would love to know if this works! rock on. love.

Elise A. Miller said...

I found the source for the hair loss info:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTEsH29BnGw&feature=related
about 6 minutes in a caller asks about her hair loss. it continues in part 9.

Elise A. Miller said...

Okay now I'm officially stalking you. I figured since I'm suggesting all these things I may as well offer help in actually finding it:

http://www.starrvalleyfarm.net/index.html

35 miles outside p-burgh. and they welcome family visits! could be fun too.

okay have a great weekend.